Wednesday, April 16, 2014

RIP BIG BILL


I would like to take a moment to shout out a very close friend of mine that recently passed away.

I first became involved with Billy Daniels during the summer of 2004.  Big Bill as he was known by many, sponsored a tournament my friends and I were participating in.  People who knew Big Bill are well aware of the fact that he loved to win.  Trash talking with rival teams was fun to Bill.  My team advanced to the championship with an undefeated record in that particular tourney.  The championship game ended up being a debacle.  My team fell apart down the stretch, ultimately losing the final game which happened to be our only loss. 

After suffering such a disappointing loss all I could think about was the fact that I let Big Bill down.  As the team leader I took the responsibility to apologize to Bill after the game.  His reaction sent waves through my soul.  I learned a lesson that day I will take with me for the rest of my life.  He told me the only thing he was upset about was the fact that I was sulking.  That there would be other tournaments and that he was proud of us for representing his team with pride and respect.  At that moment my perception of Big Bill had changed forever.  Although Bill desperately craved barber shop bragging rights, he cared more about me as a person that day.

Spike Lee's 1998 film " He Got Game" was a great depiction of what rising basketball stars go through on a daily basis.  When an individuals stardom becomes apparent people will try to get everything they can out of you.  The snakes and leaches will try to suck the life out of your dreams.  Big Bill was the complete opposite.  Its individuals like Bill that keep the playing field level.

Many Sundays Bill would see us playing full court games from sun up to sun down at 121 park.  Bill would load up his blue minivan will his BBQ grill, a few dozen Poland Spring bottles and Gatorade to keep us replenished.  We never asked Bill for much.  Most of his contributions came from the heart.  Whether it was referee fees or the entire tournament fee, Bill would help out whenever he could.

Basketball is a game of rhythm.  Repetition is a key factor if your going to be a successful baller.  Coaches often tell players to think before you make your move.  However, too much thinking can take away from a player performing with natural fluidity.  Bill would often pull me aside and tell me to just play my game.  Don't think just react.  His advice didn't always work but it felt damn good knowing I had someone in my corner.

Bill passed away without knowing what he had done for me.  I'm pretty sure I am not the only person that Bill affected in this manner.  As people we should practice telling others how we feel on a regular basis. 

RIP BIG BILL, You went too soon but I know your shining down on us.






FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER:@NYsteve8

CHECK ME ON INSTAGRAM:NYsteve8






1 comment: